Friday, March 18, 2011

Apple: Bigotry - fine; most basic free functionality - not so much

I'm not even making this up but I happen to have just had two bad experiences with the commercial mastodon called "Apple".

First I get the Demand that Apple remove "ex-gay" iPhone app petition on my radar. Say what? Apple banned a Danish newspaper for very mild erotic pictures, they banned Wikileaks... but "curing" gay people? Fine according to the Book of Jobs!

Petition signed.

I then - using the Macbook only - had to urgently put up a note on a website I just bought. Meaning at the least I had to edit a simple index.html file and upload it. Searching for "FTP" in the App Store only gave me rather pricey solutions. Hello world... file transfer... why should that be expensive and complicated!?

After a few moments of considering alternatives I went for SeaMonkey. Good old rock solid Mozilla Suite reincarnation so brutally pushed to the background by new and flashy Firefox was quick to my rescue. No hassle installation and setup of FTP-settings; my website note up in a second.

SeaMonkey rules.

(Later, however, I'll probably need to work with MySQL and bulk upload of files for CMS installation. If you know and love some Mac-compatible software usable for that you are more than welcome to let me know. Chances are, though, that I'll do it in a basic file manager in Linux anyway!)

3 comments:

  1. On the Macbook (i.e., in OSX) you can access the underlying FreeBSD system and use the command line tools. You could then upload a file using ftp, rsync or ssh from the command line. I don't know how to do that, but you don't have to search the App store. :-) I suppose it's part of the "Darwin" system underlying OSX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used sftp and ssh a lot, actually. Surely I should be looking into shell use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Filezilla Baby! http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

    ReplyDelete